Many of you have created your WordPress blog by now, but a common tendency is to use “Pages” to create all content on your site for your menus. While you may want some static pages on your site (likely for an “About Me” page), to separate your course blogs (e.g., EDCI 336 and EDCI 352) or to separate assignments (e.g., open inquiry and tech inquiry), you will need to:
- Create categories
- Add categories to your blog posts
- Create a menu item from a category
First off, before you start working in the basic gray-coloured menu, go to the better black-coloured menu by adding “/wp-admin” to the end of your blog URL. Make sure you aren’t using a long goobly-goop URL first. That is, NOT: https://wordpress.com/view/thenameofmyblog.wordpress.com
It should look like: http://thenameofmyblog.wordpress.com/wp-admin
- click to Posts
- click on Categories
- enter the name for your category. To separate EDCI 336 posts from EDCI 352 posts, for example, create one category for EDCI 336 and one category for EDCI 352. Next up, for EDCI 336, create categories as per our naming convention for competencies using the same capitalization, spelling, and spaces.
- click on Add New Category
Add Categories to Your Blog Posts
- When editing a blog post, on the right side, you will see two tabs. One says Document and beside it is Block.
- Click on Document
- Click on Categories to expand it to see the drop-down menu. You should be able to see the categories you created. Check all appropriate ones (e.g, EDCI 336 and Tech Inquiry and Video Editing).
Create a Menu Item Based on a Category
Once you have created categories, you can add menu items based on them. If you haven’t applied categories to a post yet, you can still create menus based on them. Former EDCI 336 learners from three years ago created a video tutorial for how to do create menus using categories using the Camtasia screen capture software that is available in the lab. Alternatively, the steps are described below:
- Go to Appearance
- Click on Menus
- Click on Categories to expand the drop-down menu
- Click View All
- Checkmark the categories you want to add to the menu. They will appear at the bottom of the menu list on the right side.
- Drag and drop your new menu item to where you want it on the menu list. Note, indenting a menu item under another menu creates a drop-down or submenu.
- Click Save Menu
That’s it! You should start setting up the menus and categories for your course(s) and for the competencies you are working on. You can also simply create all the competency categories for the course at once. Enjoy designing your site!